Monday, January 30, 2012

The stuff that popeye ate

We used to call Munchie Popeye because he would make this face that looked kind of like Popeye.



So it is only fitting that we would feed him that power inducing green stuff Popeye chowed down on called spinach.

I recently came across this recipe thanks to a fellow bumpie for spinach muffins and thought I would give them a try. When I hear the word muffin or "minyay" as munchie calls them I do not think spinach. I think sweet delicious berries. But if it is healthy then I am willing to give it a go for the kidlet. Well apparently munch thinks these are spinach-yays because he got mad at me when I only gave him one. So I think we will be seeing a lot more of these little things in the near future.




Spinach cake muffins courtesy of weelicious


1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Large Egg
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Fresh Spinach, packed
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl.
Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
Scoop batter into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
Bake for 12 minutes.


And in case you were still on the fence about making your wee one these muffins well here is proof that they are tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment