Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rainbow cake

So what could go better with the whole gnome and toadstool Waldorf theme? A rainbow cake of course! From the very beginning I said to myself that if I was going to make the cake then I was going to make it the best darned cake I have ever made. Go big or go home right?

When I was a baby my mother made our birthday cakes. Now whether or not this was something she really enjoyed doing or a necessity because of lack of money I don't know. Perhaps it was a combination of both. The point is that woman made the first few cakes for my birthdays and I really wanted to uphold that tradition and make munchie his first cake. I made munchie's older brother the cake for his one and only big party we have had for him. So I am big on tradition you see.

In any case some time back I came across the big fad of making a rainbow cake. Unassuming on the outside but bing bang pow on the inside. Which is about the reaction I got from our guests when I cut the cake open and they saw the multitude of colors.

  


So there you have it a rainbow of layers kept together by some yummy butter cream frosting (which in my opinion is the only way to go).

Now if you are going to attempt a rainbow cake of your own there are a few things you should know that I learned along the way.

My cake was the same size as a regular cake, despite the many layer of colors you see. In order to get the thin layers I divided my batch of batter into six equal portions and then baked each one individually for less time than you would a normal layer. You can do it this way or you could layer the colors of batter on top of each other and bake it that way getting a more tie dyed effect but still the same size as a normal cake. Or you could the big route and make a batch of batter for each color and make a really tall cake. Whatever you like, there is no shortage of how to sites online when it comes to making a rainbow cake.

Now in order to get that vibrant color you see you need to use gel food colors. You could I suppose use the regular kind you get in the grocery store, but the colors won't be quite the same. I used the Wilton gels which you can find at any craft store like Michaels or if you are here on the east coast at an A.C. Moore. 

Now in order for your cake to remain unassuming until you cut it open to reveal what is beyond that frosting of yours, you need to crumb coat your cake. Every baker knows a crumb coat is what keeps your cake from looking like your cake tried to escape the frosting. How to crumb coat a cake can be found here : clicky

The most important thing if you go the route I did for thin layers. Buy yourself some bake easy spray and some parchment paper. Line your cake pan with parchment paper and then spray with bake easy. When you pull your cake from the oven let it cool COMPLETELY before you tip it upside down and take it out. Trust me on this. Very important!

So now I have given you my tips it is time for the recipes. Both of these were really great and easy recipes and there was no shortage of flavor here either. However I suggest you pick up a little carton of ice cream to go with this cake because let me tell you, it is pretty sweet.

Tender white cake courtesy of King Arthur Flour

  • 2 3/4 cups King Arthur unbleached cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups sugar; super fine is best
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 large eggs whites plus 1 whole large egg
  • 1 cup full-fat vanilla yogurt or 1 cup whole milk (I used milk but I suggest using the yogurt if you are doing the thin layers-this will make it much more moist)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8" x 2" or 9" x 2" round pans; a 9" x 13" pan; or 2 standard cupcake pans (20 to 24 cupcakes) by greasing and flouring; or lining with parchment, then greasing the parchment. Note: Make sure your 8" round pans are at least 2" deep; if they're not, use one of the other pan options.
2) Mix all of the dry ingredients on slow speed to blend. Add the soft butter and mix until evenly crumbly, like fine damp sand. It may form a paste, depending on the temperature of the butter, how much it's mixed, and granulation of the sugar used.
3) Add the egg whites one at a time, then the whole egg, beating well after each addition to begin building the structure of the cake. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition.
4) In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt (or milk) with the vanilla and almond extracts. Add this mixture, 1/3 at a time, to the batter. Beat 1 to 2 minutes after each addition, until fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
5) (* See notes following for how I did this)Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes for 8" or 9" rounds; 36 to 42 minutes for a 9" x 13" x 2" sheet cake; or 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes. A toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean when done. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan, if desired (not advisable for a 9" x 13" sheet cake), cool on a rack, and frost. 
 
Yield: Two 8" or 9" round layers; one 9"x 13" x 2" sheet cake, or 20 to 24 cupcakes. 

*When your batter is done, separate your batter into 6 even portions and put in individual bowls (glass or metal would be best unless you have something you don't care if it gets stained). For me I was able to get 6 cups out of this batter, so it was relatively easy to divide. 
Once divided take a toothpick to get your gel color into the batter. I think I used about two pea sized chunks but remember that the color you see in the bowl is going to be the exact color your cake will be once cooked. When you have completed this step go ahead and add the batter to the cake pans. I used two 8 inch pans and baked the cake for 12 minutes each time, letting them cool way down (about 10 minutes) before transferring them to a wire rack to remain cooling. Continue this until you have each one finished.  

Buttercream Icing courtesy of Wilton 
 

  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Directions:

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

*For my cake I needed two batches of this recipe. One for the crumb coat and one for the top layer of frosting. Add water a teaspoon at a time just until it is a little more smooth and easier to spread. Not too much, you don't want it runny! You still need it to hold up the cake!  Once you are finished crumb coating make sure to put your cake in the fridge for about 1 hour to harden up and allow you the ability to begin the final icing stage.

I made my cake the night before and it was still  moist the very next day. This is part of the beauty of crumb coating. It makes your cake look pretty and holds all of that moisture in.

No comments:

Post a Comment